At Dairymaids we have breakfast together every Saturday. This Mac & Cheese, which we adapted from an Alton Brown recipe, has become a Saturday morning staple. A stovetop preparation, it is simple and very quick.
For cheese you can grate up whatever you may have on hand (cow’s milk cheeses in the cheddar and Alpine categories melt best). If you were to choose just one, we currently recommend the Cowgirl Creamery Wagon Wheel, which is available in the needed size on our online site: https://houstondairymaids.square.site/
Simple, Creamy Mac & Cheese
½ pound short pasta (elbow macaroni, cavatappi, etc.)
4 tablespoons butter
6 ounces evaporated milk
½ teaspoon hot sauce
1 teaspoon salt
Fresh ground black pepper
½ teaspoon dry mustard
10 ounces Wagon Wheel or other firm cheese, grated
1. Cook pasta to al dente in a large pot of boiling, salted water. Drain.
2. Return pasta to pot. Add butter and stir until melted.
3. In separate bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, hot sauce, dry mustard, salt and pepper.
4. Add milk mixture to pasta. Add grated cheese.
5. Stir over low heat until cheese melts and sauce is thick and creamy. About 3 minutes.
Posted by lindsey